Thursday, January 10, 2008

Decisions, decisions...

As most of you know, I've desired a job change for a month or so. Working three jobs and still pinching pennies is no way to live, so I've been shopping for new employment. I considered working as a full-time receptionist/assistant, but the more I thought about it, the less desirable the idea became. As much as I dislike some of my coworkers, I don't want to abandon the preschool. I just want them to pay me what I deserve :)

Anyway, a week ago I interviewed at a restaurant, and pleasantly discovered that the interviewer enrolled her son in my preschool camp this past summer. I don't know if this helped me or not, but for whatever reasons, I landed the job. The downsides:

1. The shift is 4 pm-midnight. Depending on which days I work, that could make the next morning at preschool absolute hell. I requested to work M-W-F, because Tuesdays and Thursdays require much less from me at school, but my schedule hasn't been verified.

2. This is a new restaurant, opening February 7, and business could be achingly slow for a while. As my preschool salary doesn't even cover my rent, the possibility of earning little in tips is quite unnerving.

3. Unless I want to continue working three jobs, I'd lose my discount at Loft. Yes, this is rather trivial, but it's saved me tons of money as I build my post-weight loss wardrobe. Then again, when I think about it, my Tuesdays and Thursdays will end at 1 when I give up nannying. My friends have class or work until later anyway, so why not pick up a 2-6, 2-7 shift? What else will I do with my afternoons? Nothing useful, especially in hibernation season. Might as well make a little extra money and keep the discount.

Now to the good stuff:

1. I get to keep the preschool. As frustrating as it can be to deal with certain people, I absolutely adore the children, and my work is fulfilling. I'll have one job that provides a sense of purpose, and one that pays most of the bills.

2. Though the hours aren't quite ideal, I'll have a proper M-F schedule, with free weekends, for the first time since at least September, if not since the summer. Working until midnight on Fridays will impact my social life, but honestly, I'm getting old, and the days of going out from 9 pm - 5 am on a Friday night are thankfully far behind me.

3. Business, though it may start slowly, will surely build quickly. It's in a high-traffic area, residents are very familiar with its sister restaurant, and the music venue and recording studio in the back rooms will attract attention. Eventually, this should be $4-500 a week easily, if not more, and most of that is in cash.

4. Possibly the most important: This is a good fit, and I will be far more content waitressing than nannying these particular kids, or working any number of other positions. As introverted as I am normally, I'm a bloody charmer when I have to turn it on! It works for me, and is therefore appealing.

I think I'll go fire off an acceptance email.

No comments: