Most of you know that the hardest part of my teaching job is not developing curriculum, or keeping children in line, or earning a measly wage, but dealing with coworker Q. For the sake of maintaining a peaceful environment, I largely kept quiet about my complaints. That is, until my boss requested a meeting in April to discuss the end of the school year and upcoming summer camp.
Without throwing Q under the bus - because I truly respect her creativity, and recognize that she's been essential to my growth as a teacher - I aired all of my concerns, and admitted that I didn't want to return to summer camp if I had to be her assistant in the morning. My summer would be difficult enough (it has certainly proved to be so) without the added tension. Additionally, I questioned whether or not I wanted to continue as her assistant in the fall, as my lead teaching opportunities bring me far more happiness with negligible stress. My boss assured me that my issues would be addressed, told me how much she valued my work, and on top of it all, apologized for not being more of a supportive presence and vowed to be more active from then on. What a pleasant surprise!
I can happily report that my summer has been relatively Q-free, as I was moved to a preschool sports camp in the morning. The daily reports I receive from a counselor who works with both me and Q reaffirms that I made the right decision in requesting said transfer. My summer is certainly the better for it, though as I mentioned, I'm not faring terribly well. Anyway, two days ago, my boss dropped a most surprising and glorious bombshell: I have a complete two year-old program, mine and mine alone, Monday-Friday.
I have an entire program! I HAVE AN ENTIRE PROGRAM!!
In case you don't understand my excitement, let me explain that this is just about everything I could have wanted. 1) I'll have limited contact with Q, and I think our relationship will be better for it. 2) I'll continue working with coworker X, whom I adore, twice a week for our open gym program. 3) I have complete control over the curriculum of some spectacular classes - art, music, cooking (!), and science being the highlights. 4) As I won't be anyone's assistant, I won't have two wages, only the higher one. Granted, it's still only $1000/month, but that's $200 more than what I made this past school year. I'll take what I can get.
In short, huzzah!, both for me and for my boss, who's been far more receptive and proactive than I ever expected. Isn't it nice to feel appreciated?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment